Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Spaudlers


Some call these Paulderons.  Interestingly enough, I cannot seem to find a dictionary reference older than about ten years for the word "paulderon", so even though I think these tend to more "pauldron" than "spaudler", I will stick with the word which decribes the shoulder...the "spaude". 
This is the spaudler from the Imperial Museum in Malta, inside views.  Look how narrow they are in the picture below!  




And of course, they look very fancy with their outside edge roping and machine made fluting!

Below is the spaudler I came up with based on measured drawings I made on the ones above.  Very plain, very simple.  They are not designed to be the last word...far from it!  They are designed to prove the design.  These are the first of this design I have ever made.  As far as "proving the design, I am content with it.  There are a lot of details I need to correct in the templates.  



The shoulder dents need to be guided a little closer to the opening.  These shoulder dents are what normally make a piece of armour a "paulderon".  But then I have covered that ridiculous squabble elsewhere. 



and of course I will have to work on my outside rolled edges.  I HATE outside rolled edges...because this one was a sort of prototype, I didn't bother to roll the outside edges.  

 Above you can see the sliding rivets on the rerebrace lames.  I made the sliding barrels too, but got distracted, and have not mounted them on yet.  If I do barrels more often in the future, I have GOT to get a rolling jenny!  Next post, I'll show my sliding barrels.  They are not pretty, but they DO work.  Much to my surprise I might add!

All in all, as far as prototypes go, I am reasonably happy with this experiment.
All of this naturally goes neatly with my post from last year about these spadlers...

http://southtowerarmouringguild.blogspot.ca/2012/04/spadlers.html

Oh, and why do I call them spaudlers instead of spaulders? 
http://www.archive.org/stream/dictionaryofarch02hall#page/780/mode/2up

(actually, I think they are both right, or both equally wrong...English is SUCH a mutt of a language.  I rather like "spawde"...a shoulder in the same reference of obsolete English usage above.  (page 780) The Dungeons and Dragons crowd have made "spaulder" popular, but they apply it to polderons.  I think I should just call these "shoulders!" and be done with it!)


ip-location map zoom

No comments: