Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Rolling the top edge





The first step is to raise a half inch 90 degree all along the edge. This is just a matter of hitting it over the heel of the anvil until it is all done. Actually, it is a little trickier than that. You have to use a fairly sharp edge on the anvil to do this...or a stake. Inside curves are easier...they don't require special stakes...any old edge will do. I talked with one fellow who said he used pliers to do this stage. I have never been able to get pliers to work. It is true that if you don't have the x-ray vision to see where the anvil is under your workpiece, a bent down section every hand span or so would help. I just place the steel on the anvil, and check it is in the right place by slipping my finger under it...you can estimate pretty good that way. That being said, I always "cheat" by scratching a fine line on the top of the steel about half an inch from the edge just to be sure.

No comments: